Sunday, July 25, 2010

Travel Essentials: What to Pack for Flights

In an earlier post, I wrote a feature on jet-set style. In this post, I will discuss some travel essentials that will entertain you during your flight and keep you looking pretty when you finally arrive at your destination.

I mentioned before that a chic and comfy outfit, a quality suitcase, and a roomy tote are essential components for traveling in style. You've got to have a scarf for the cold plane temperatures, easy-to-walk-in shoes, and - most importantly - oversized sunnies. I also mentioned that you should have your go-to wallet and a passport holder to keep track of your boarding pass and forms of identification.

As for what else you should have in your bag, here's what I always bring.

Cosmetics and the Likes


travel essentials


Evian Spritzer -  Cabin air is notoriously drying. Long hours in high elevation also results in extra water loss and can cause fatigue. Evian's spritzer (which consists of water from the French Alps with a specially neutralized pH level for extra moisturization) will keep your skin from flaking. Plus, the refreshing, cool mist will give you an instant energy boost.

Mini Antibacterial - Airplanes and airports are not exactly the most sanitary places. Also, water can get pretty scarce on long flights. Keep a mini antibacterial with you and swipe some on after using the restroom and before eating.

Mini Moisturizer - Another essential for combating the dry flight cabins. Keep your skin - in particular your hands - well moisturized with a travel or sample-size version of your favorite lotion. Stick with something unscented or just lightly scented as any strong smell would be overpowering on a crowded plane.

Eye Drops - My eyes have a tendency to turn red after a long flight. Have some eye drops on hand to relieve redness and sooth any eye strain that may result from traveling.

Cuticle Cream - I have the terrible habit of picking on my cuticles. I love Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Creme: it smells yummy and keeps my cuticles moisturized.

Travel-size Fragrance - While you should never spray perfume on a flight (the smell can be very overwhelming in such a crowded space), you should take a mini or travel-size version of your favorite perfume to spray on after you get off your flight. The familiar scent will make you feel more comfortable even though you might be in a completely  foreign place.

Cheek Tint - I used to suffer from major motion-sickness on flights, so I would always get off the plane as pale as a ghost. Your favorite cheek tint will make your complexion appear rosy even when you might not be feeling your best.

Lip Balm - I cannot live without my Burt's Bees Replenishing Lip Balm with Pomegranate Oil and I take it absolutely everywhere. It keeps my lips moisturized for hours while giving it a light, blood-orange tint. Plus, unlike lip balms from ChapStick, I feel like this one penetrates deeper and moisturizes not just the surface. 

Lip Gloss - I mentioned that my lip balm brings some color to my lips, but I like a little more color and shine, especially after I get off the plane. Keep your favorite gloss on hand - I'm a huge fan of Lip Fusion's line.

Matte Powder w/ Compact - Flying to China - from leaving my house to finally arriving at Shanghai - is usually a 20+ hour affair. During that time, my skin often gets oily, especially the areas around my nose, forehead, and chin. A matte powder will keep the grease at bay and the compact also doubles as a mirror for fixing your makeup or checking to see if there's food stuck on your teeth.

Mascara - This isn't an absolute essential, but I like to bring my mascara in my purse because I don't like to wear mascara while flying. I'm not a big fan of waterproof formulas since I find them difficult to remove, and regular mascara tends to smear after long wear. So I like to apply mine after I get off the plane.

Eyecream - The area around my eye tends to get really dry for some reason, so I'm a big fan of eyecream. Pick a formula that's not too greasy. For an extra bonus, use one that contains caffeine, which decreases puffiness and makes you look more bright-eyed. Many eyecreams come in 7-day trial sizes, which are perfect for bringing onto your flight.

Concealer - There's nothing better to camouflage those dark circles under your eye and the random pimple that may pop up during your flight. It's always good to be prepared.

Mini Mouthwash - I know a lot of people like to bring a mini toothbrush with them while traveling, but I find mouthwash to be so much more convenient. A quick rinse and ta-da, instant fresh breath.

Finally, make sure that all liquids are under 3.4 oz and keep everything in a clear, plastic one-quart sized zip lock bag. For more information on TSA's carry-on rules, click here.

Other Essentials

travel essentials 2

Bottled Water - I personally carry a bottle of water with me at all times, and especially when traveling. Staying hydrated keeps me from feeling nauseous on the plane and keeps my skin looking glowy and fresh, too.

A warning though: many airports don't allow you to carry water through security. Instead, bring an empty bottle that you can refill once you get through security check.

MP3 Player - Like me, many people cannot live without their iPod. Preload your iPod with lots of new songs before traveling, maybe even download a playlist from a friend. Also, make sure your battery is fully charged before you leave home. Nothing's worse than turning on your iPod and realizing that the battery's out at the start of a 12-hour flight.

Just remember, MP3 players and other electronics must be turned off right after departure and before arrival. Always follow the instructions given by flight attendants.

Digital Camera - A digital camera is a must-have for traveling. Keep it in your bag rather than packing it into your luggage. Cameras take up very little space. After all, you never know what intriguing events you might run into.

Hairbrush - Waking up from a nap with a head of frizzy bed-hair sucks. Keep your manes in control with your favorite hairbrush.

Mint Gum - Keep your breath nice and fresh with some minty gum; you never know which cutie might end up sitting by you. Plus, chewing gum prevents you from getting that pressurized feeling in your ears when the plane changes altitudes.

Tissue Pack - Having some tissue on hand makes wiping off smeared mascara and fixing creased eyeshadow so much easier.

Pen - When you go through customs, you generally have to fill out a bunch of forms. Keep a pen on hand so you don't have to wait in line to use the pen that they provide. A tip though: make sure that it's a black-inked pen. Many official documents don't accept blue ink, much less some other colored ink.

Also, make sure the pen is capped as you do not want ink spilling all over your bag.

Magazines - There's nothing like the latest issue of Cosmo or Allure to help you pass time while waiting at the terminals. Bring your own copy since the magazine stands at airports are super overpriced.


Does your travel must-have make this list? What are your travel essentials?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic.
    If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely
    helpful for me
    www.how2recharge.com

    ReplyDelete

Blog Directory