Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Style Guide: Running Errands

Have you seen candid pics of celebrities out running errands yet looking totally fabulous? Think Katie Holms shopping with Suri on her arms, or Gwen Stephani walking her dogs.

Well, lately, I've found myself running a lot of errands. Since my parents are both busy with work, I've become the one who has to grocery shop for my family. I've also been selling my textbooks on Amazon, which requires frequent visits to the post office. Then there are the coffee dates and mall trips with the girls and evening jogs that I go on with the guys. On top of all that, I have a 9 to 5 internship five days a week, so I actually feel that I have less free time now that I had over the school year.

While I would love to just bum around in running shorts and a T-shirt all day, I can't bring myself to do that. In my small hometown, I'm always running into people I know. There have been times in the past when I'm at Walmart in sweats with no makeup, and later I get a text from someone I went to high school with, saying: "Hey I just saw you at Walmart!" At which point I think, "Great! And I looked like a total bum!"

So lately, I've made a new resolution for myself: even though I may not constantly have to avoid the paparazzi, I should still always make an effort to look good before leaving the house. Below are three looks inspired by the ever-chic Kristin Cavallari to cover all your everyday errands.

Shopping With the Girls


casual outfit 2

I absolutely love this look, the cropped top is so in this season and super casual. These dark denim shorts stand in contrast with the casual top and the heels give the easy breezy outfit an extra oomph. (P.S. why is it that Canadian Forever21 seems so much better than the one in the states? Both the top and shorts are from there). I opted for these cream Chanel-esque clogs rather than pumps like Kristin's just to make the look a little more practical for a normal college girl.

The tasseled bag is so stylish and white is a great summer color. Finish off the look with a coat of classic red nail polish - I used NARS polish in Hunger - throw on your favorite pair of sunnies and it's time to hit up Bloomies and Nordies! 

Coffee Date


coffee outfit

This effortless yet fashion-forward look that Kristin wore to an outdoors concert is perfect for grabbing coffee with the girls or meeting up for lunch with some old friends. This outfit will show off your style without appearing like you're trying too hard. The denim cutoffs and sheer white tee are perfect for summer. Since the top is pretty thin, wear a cute bra and let it peak through. These cuffed sandals and wooden bracelets add a boho vibe that gives the outfit a more summery feel.

Since you're just meeting up with some friends, ditch the heavy purse and grab a cute wallet instead.

Grocery/Post Office Runs

casual outfit

This simple look can be worn for pretty much running any errand and definitely beats the baggy-tee-and-shorts look that most people wear when going about their daily business. An easy breezy white tank is always my summer go-to piece. Throw on a pair of faded skinny jeans and your favorite pair of flip-flops - I don't wear anything but Havaianas - to finish off the outfit.

Coral is one of the hottest colors this season. While the color can be overwhelming in large pieces, incorporate this summery shade by painting your nails with a coral nail polish (when it comes to nail polish, you can't go wrong with Essie). Finally, this camel leather handbag is such a wonderful color and a super-steal at just $25.


What's your go-to outfit for running errands?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Directory