Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Style Guide: Designer Denim

If I had to pick one type of clothing to splurge on, I would choose jeans. Okay, you might be wondering, why jeans? They all look pretty much the same, right? That's what one girl in my dorm said after seeing an entire expandable rolling rack of my 20+ pairs of jeans in the hallway on move-in day. She laughed to her friend as she walked by, exclaiming "What is this? Uniforms?"

I heard her and had two immediate reactions: one, I was angry that she insulted my jeans. Two, I pitied her lack of fashion sense. I firmly believe that any fashionista should have an appreciation for designer denim. Since I laid my hands on my first pair of Miss Sixty jeans during sophomore year in high school, I've become obsessed with designer denim.

Over the years, I've built up a nice collection consisting of 5 pairs of 7's, three pairs of Citizens, two pairs of Rock & Republics, three pairs of Miss Sixtys, two pairs of True Religions (my absolute favorite), and some other random designer brands. My latest purchase over winter break was a pair of bootcut Marcianos that's become my new go-to pair. I'm also waiting for the pair of AG jeans that I just ordered on Gilt to arrive in the mail.

In my opinion, there's nothing like a pair a well-fitted designer jeans. That perfect pair can slim your hips, elongate your legs, look fabulous from behind, and be a total confidence booster. Since jeans can be worn pretty much every single day, they're a very worthy investment. Plus, designer denim last much longer than normal jeans and don't lose their shape or fade for years. I definitely get more wear out of my designer jeans than the expensive tops that I buy which only see the light of day (or night) when I go out to parties.

Here's my guide to some top brands of designer jeans:

7 For All Mankind

7's are less expensive than brands like True Religion and Rock & Republic and usually have more simple, everyday styles. I have a pair of 7's that I wear probably a fourth of the time because they're so basic and comfortable. I love the signature "A" pocket jeans, especially the ones adorned with Swarovski crystals. The length of 7's typically run a bit shorter than most designer jeans, which suits my 5'5 figure. The styles vary a lot, from tight-fitting to loose trouser jeans, from skinny to flare. I'd recommend buying a size up for the non-stretch styles as they can run a bit on the small side.


7 for all Mankind


Rock & Republic

Rock & Republic jeans are probably my second favorite behind True Religions. The brand prides itself on its luxe yet edgy designs. The jeans are wonderfully made and last absolutely forever without fading or losing shape. Their innovative styles are always on the cutting edge of fashion and the brand has recently expanded to include high fashion handbags, footwear, and accessories.

Rock & Republics generally fit true-to-size and with so many styles out there, there's surely something for everyone. Recently, they launched a new Recession Collection which features the same quality and fashion-forward designs at a more budget friendly price. Perfect for college students who love designer denim but not the price tag that comes with them.


Rock and Republic


True Religion

In my opinion, True Religions are the royalty in the land of denim. Oftentimes heralded by hip-hop and R&B artists in their songs, I love them for their effortless, boho-chic look and their amazingly flattering fit. When I'm having a "fat day" or need a confidence booster, I turn to my True Religion "Billy" jeans and rock them with some black pumps or booties. Instant mood lifter.

Seriously, when a perfect pair of jeans can be a mood and confidence booster, it's worth that $300 price tag. Plus, with True Religions, you look fashion forward but never like you're trying too hard. The varieties are endless, including carefree vintage washes, effortlessly chic distressed styles, and stunning white varieties.


True Religions

Of course, a designer denim guide is not complete without mentioning Acne jeans, which are supposedly the "best" jeans out there. I've yet to try on a pair so I can't comment, but I'll throw the name out there. Some fellow jean-obsessed friends of mine are big fans of Joe's jeans, which carry beautiful trouser styles, and Hudsons, with their famous logo of a British flag. As for me, I've been coveting some Rich & Skinnys.


Do you think designer denim are worth the splurge? Do you have a favorite pair?

1 comment:

Blog Directory